Intermediate Care Operative (ICO)
The Intermediate Care Operative (ICO) post is designed to provide a comprehensive and dedicated Patient Transport/Intermediate Care Service within the National Ambulance Service.
Some of the Clinical/Patient Care Responsibilities include:
- Safe transportation of non-emergency patients to and from Out Patient Departments, Clinics, Day Hospital and any other location as required from time to time.
- Deliver care to patients in an emergency situation while awaiting the arrival of or in support of Paramedics or above up to their level of competence .i.e. Emergency Medical Technician.
- Provide safe and secure transportation of specialist teams including multiple incubator situations using specialised moving and handling equipment.
- Provide the logistical, support and transport needs of retrieval and transport medicine teams.
Eligibility Criteria for the Grade:
- Current registration on the Emergency Medical Technician Register held by the Pre Hospital Emergency Care Council (PHECC)
- Possess the National Qualification in Emergency Medical Technology and the PHECC EMT Practitioner’s Licence
- Hold of a current, full, unendorsed Class C1 driving licence – (Note Irish 78 Restriction is not acceptable)
- Possess the requisite knowledge and ability, including a high standard of suitability, for the proper discharge of the duties of the office